[GTALUG] Power over Ethernet question

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 07:18:32 EST 2019

The Ontario Electrical Safety Authority has recently ratified Power over
Ethernet for domestic residential LED lighting and associated home control
systems. I was just wondering if anybody on the list is using PoE for
lighting and has any recommendations on which types of LED's are best for
general use. I have a 45w grow light for an African violet but the light it
casts gives a kind of institutional feeling. I'm not sure I'd want it
everywhere.

I live in apartment with older ceiling fixtures and currently screw-in
compact fluorescent bulbs last a year or so before the transformer dies
from voltage spikes. Ostensibly this is from being on the same sub-panel as
switched loads, fans, ac and the fridge being the main culprits.

Any suggestions and anecdotes are appreciated.

TIA
Russell