[GTALUG] Software to draw illustrations?

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Sun Feb 10 12:57:14 EST 2019

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 00:51:09 -0500
William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What software do people use to draw illustrations that you'd see in
> textbooks or presentations?  Eg. data structure, high school math, block
> diagrams, etc.  I mean, I see them, but I don't know how to create them.

William,

   Xfig was designed to work with LaTeX.  The files can be converted to
EPS, PNG, and all sorts of other graphics formats.  The transfig
packages means you can write scripts and Makefiles to do convert FIG
files.

   If you are using LibreCAD, the trick is to print to file.  You get
PDF format.  Select an appropriate scale and sheet size.  There are
lots of sheet sizes to chooser from.  The command pdftops will give you
an EPS file suitable for import into LaTeX or LibreOffice.

   I have not played with LibreOffice's drawing program, or Dia.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
jhowardgibson at gmail.com