[GTALUG] Security cams question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 12:14:25 EST 2019

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 10:21 AM Scott Sullivan via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2/9/19 8:25 AM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> > Greetings
> >
> > I am looking into using a security cam to observe animal behavior in an area.
> >
> > So I would like to use a camera that is IR capable to 30 m but what
> > I'm not finding is anything that I can run on Linux - - - just M$ is
> > listed.
> >
> > Has anyone out there played with security cams that might be able to help?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Dee
>
> You've not given us a lot of information to work with, and I see folks
> are making a lot of educated guesses to try and help you. Could you help
> us by adding some additional information?

Sorry - - - but its a case of defining the problem as one solves the problem.

> What's your budget?

Under $500 is necessary - - - less would be even better.

> What is some example software / hardware you've looked at (links please)?

http://cowcams.com/store/p1/Outdoor_10x_zoom_PTZ_camera.html

above has no real mention of software just talks about hardware.

> What kind of data do you expect to have at the end?

I am wanting something so I can see what is happening when I am not
standing there watching - - - a remote look in per se.

> Video, time lapse photos, other?

nope, nope and nope.

> Do you want this recording all the time, or just on motion detection?

Don't really need either of these.

Sort of like a video camera with tilt and swivel that also has IR capabilities
to reduce the need for a physical lookee see.

The cameras
https://www.banggood.com/Hiseeu-1080P-PTZ-5X-Zoom-Audio-IP-Camera-Outdoor-2MP-Color-Night-Vision-P2P-CCTV-Security-Camera-p-1376470.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__5&HotRecToken=ChMxOTA1MjU0NDAwMTAzMzQ5NzE2EAIaAklWIgJQRCgA&ID=533247&cur_warehouse=CN#customerQA

really don't make it clear that this could be used as an IP connected
(using wifi)
tool. (Its also something I've never done before.)
Therefore the question.

Thanking those taking of their time to share their knowledge!!

Dee