[GTALUG] video: Benno Rice on "The Tragedy of systed"

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 18:14:05 EST 2019

> > The notion in "Dockerworld" of having minimal containers where you
> > don't have a lot of extra crap that you're packing into the containers
> > is appealing, but I'm not sure how under control this is.
> >
> > What does it mean to "keep system up to date?"  There's just enough
> > philosophical oddness to that that I'm left sufficiently off-put by it
> > all.
>
> Well to Canonical it means that you will be updating your system at
> least every month - - - their preference is every day but you can back
> it off to once a month. If you try to shut that 'feature' off - - - - life does
> get interesting (which is why I want nothing to do with it as a result!).

I know I am walking into this one. Why do you not want to update your
system on a regular basis?

Bugs will always be there (including whatever you are running). The
distro I work for, we try to limit updates to once a month, since we
recognize the fact that customers cannot always reboot on a whim.
Having said that, those updates are fairly important, and should be
applied as soon as possible. Most distros won't foist a new version on
you, it will be a stable update. Also, if you don't trust the distro's
update and testing, why are you using that distro in the first place?
Why not build something of your own?

Let's not get into a situation where we are not updating our systems
and running with known vulnerabilities, which normally have exploits
already available.

Dhaval