[GTALUG] video: Benno Rice on "The Tragedy of systed"

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 05:19:39 EST 2019

These days people can laugh at the UNIX concept of connecting typewriters
but in the lexicon of the 60's the typewriter was the person and the
typwriting machine was the compositing device. Gotta love hacker humor tho.

Unix is dead and all thats left is Linux and some rounding errors. & Ask
grampa about getty.

Having struggled somewhat with upgrading to systemd targets myself, his
introduction of a concept of a system layer abstraction which is used for
linking between kernel and user space in that dynamically described timing
space is fascinating. In my opinion so far, systemd is not particularly a
dll hell nor is it a static heaven. Maybe "compurgatory" is the term for
this stage of change. Purgatory is about learning to change prior to
enlightenment and absent a culture of contempt.

Nice talk, thanks for posting.