[GTALUG] Rust intro

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 16:22:52 EST 2019

On 12/31/19 11:57 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Tom Low-Shang via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | I'm interested in your thoughts on Rust if you attended the talk.
>
> The talk was mostly a guided creation of a program.  So I don't think
> that it answered any of your questions.
>
> | I'm currently learning Rust the old fashioned hacker way (from books and
> | other people's code :)). My biggest mistake was trying to use Rust with
> | SDL2 to display some graphics. My head still hurts from banging it into
> | a wall called 'lifetimes'.  :)
>
> The whole idea of borrowing etc. is fundamental to Rust and how it
> ensures safety.  Without garbage collection.  If you don't like or
> understand this approach, Rust isn't useful.
Hugh,
I've a question about how borrowing is implemented internally as it can lead
to a problem, if I allow lots of memory can my program stall because of this
at the end of a block. In addition due to this does borrow checking
limit or
not implement something like freelists or caching to get better usage of the
CPU cache as that's also a concern.

Thanks,
Nick