[GTALUG] 10TB drive seen as a 2TB drive (twice?)

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Dec 29 11:07:01 EST 2019

Hi Howard,

The motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS
<https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LE_PLUS/specifications/>.
What am I looking for?
There are already two existing drives, a Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000)and a WD
3TB (WD30EFRX), that have been working fine.

- Evan

On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 at 10:46, Howard Gibson via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 00:05:17 -0500
> Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> >
> > The system already has an SSD as /dec/sda, and two disks one of 3TB and
> the
> > other of 4TB, all working fine.
> >
> > When I attach the external drive, lsblock and fdisk -l both report TWO
> new
> > drives, /dev/sdd and /dev/sde, both of 2TB size. I went into set the disk
> > from DOS to GPT but the size didn't change;
>
> Evan,
>
>    Is your motherboard MBR or GPT?  I have had a nasty experience with my
> old motherboard and a new Western Digital GPT formatted drive.
>
>    http://home.eol.ca/~hgibson/RevLinux/#x1-80000D
>
>    I found that Western Digital GPT drives were difficult to use.  I was
> able to make Seagate drives work
>
> --
> Howard Gibson
> hgibson at eol.ca