[GTALUG] 10TB drive seen as a 2TB drive (twice?)

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 00:41:55 EST 2019

On 12/29/19 12:19 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 at 00:08, Nicholas Krause <xerofoify at gmail.com
> <mailto:xerofoify at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Your using fdisk right. There is a version for GPT disks called
>     gdisk and you may want to try
>     that or a GUI program like gparted.
>

> Tried that. gdisk also reports 2TB and refuses to create any partition
> larger than that.
>
> - Evan
While its stating that you have a sector size of 512 bytes which is odd.
Most gpt drives should
be 4096bytes per sector, I just double checked. So even if its gpt it
may be doing it based on
issues with other things, not sure if the computer or device your using
at a firmware level
supports 4K sectors but it seems maybe that should be checked. Its a
common problem
with larger drives, I've never run into it as the systems I have are
almost all UEFI or later.

Nick