[GTALUG] DNS-over-HTTPS - what's the use?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Dec 23 10:58:44 EST 2019

On 12/23/19 10:24 AM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2019-12-23 10:19 AM, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
>> This will also make it harder for people who are on your wifi link to
>> snoop on what your trying to connect to.
>> Still any security enhancement is a security enhancement and makes it
>> harder for others to steal your information, and generally that is a
>> good thing.
>
> Some people have other ideas:
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/dns-over-https-causes-more-problems-than-it-solves-experts-say/

> Unsubscribe from this mailing list
Its an interesting set of issues.

 From a quick browse through the URL the complains seem to break into 2
categories.
- it makes tracking harder
- if not properly implemented it provides no extra security.

Both things tend to be true of encryption technologies.

I am not sure I would be running out to implement DoH any time soon
because it does not seem like a great value.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||