[GTALUG] [OT] Phishing is no mirage...

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Mon Dec 16 23:52:43 EST 2019

well, a comment.

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, James Knott via talk wrote:

> Here's what the government says:
> https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/protect.html#a2

That is a fine resource.  it stateshowever that while the practice of
asking  for a SIN  in private company sectors is strongly discouraged, it
is not illegal.
Which is  a dreadful shame, because  I have encountered more than my share
of real estate agents who  refuse services if not given a sin.
What is more, I know first hand from a bell Senior corporate staff member
that  at least for a while bell used the request to screen out mobile
applicants who were not Canadian Citizens.
I wonder why, especially in this data stealing age, the practice is not
firmly  against the law?
Kare

  ---