[GTALUG] [OT] Phishing is no mirage...

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Dec 16 16:14:49 EST 2019

On 12/16/19 3:48 PM, Slackrat wrote:
> Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> writes:
>
>> I got a message from someone phishing as UPS.
>> The interesting thing was that I was expecting a package on the same day from Amazon.
>> I do not get a lot of UPS tagged spam and this one was written to slide through as a plain text message with a word document
>> attached.
>> The closeness to an Amazon delivery makes me wonder if someone has access to Amazon delivery information.
>>
> Interesting.
>
> But on 29 August my "Bank A" accounts were cleaned out leaving $1 in
> each of 2 accounts.  Account "Bank A-2" has an overdraft given (ie Never
> requested) many years ago. "Bank A-2" including the overdraught
> accomodation were transferred into "Bank A-1" where the total balance
> apart from the $1 was Interac transferred to some recreant presumably
> with a throwaway account elsewhere in Canada.

[snip] and should be replaced by a video of puppies playing because we
need something to make us smile.
> And adding insult to injury, a second page accompanying the Financeit
> confession/apology is blatant SPAM to sign up for their "Protection"
> service.
>
> It's a good job I retain a sense of humour.

If your a Bell customer then you could have lost your key information there.
A number of years ago I was on the phone with some guy in a Bell call
center who asked me for my Social Insurance Number for verification
purposes.
I was completely freaked since to my knowledge a SIN should not be used
for any identifying purposes by anybody other than the government.
Tracking back many years before I bought a cell phone(brick like thing)
and it required a credit check and they kept my details on file for
anybody in the support dept to access.

So you can be reasonable and careful but still get screwed over by one
of the big careless corporations we need to deal with on a daily basis.

But I'm not bitter.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||