[GTALUG] another unique store gone: Above All Electronic Surplus

Digiital aka David digiital at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:19:37 EST 2019

Sadly with the days of the internet it's getting easier to buy all those
weird and cool stuff online. Plus younger people are just not into
the tinkering, it's the mind set of "why build, when I can build"

I can't count the days and hours I spent at Active . I'm pretty sure I
still have some things I bought there with the idea of building something
with it, and never got to it.

I wish that Canada Computers would possibly would fill in the gap in a
small way to the makers(or the old Radio Shake). I'm in Brampton and
our local CC has a few aisle that are just totally empty or just have
dozens and dozens of the same product as a filler.
Maybe if you are luck you may see one or two boxes of a 3D printer, or
filament.
Sucks when you want to buy a Raspberry Pi and it costs $11 for shipping.

When I jump down to the US to visit family I'm always going into micro
center
which I look at as a US version of CC with a good selection of a maker
area.
I can buy a raspberry pi zero ( 1 per visit) for $5(US), I make sure to
stop in a few times :)
and not only get the pi but stock up on my maker needs.