[GTALUG] another unique store gone: Above All Electronic Surplus

D. Joe gtalug at etrumeus.com
Sun Dec 15 19:55:53 EST 2019

OK, sorry, I must not have been very clear before, but this is exactly the sort of talk about retailers I was hoping to see around my August visit.

So it goes. Hopefully some of it will still be relevant when next I'm able to make the trip.

--
Joe

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 07:24:48PM -0500, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> On the positive side of things...
>
> One of my personal favourite places for obscure gear, Sayal Electronics, is not
> only doing well but has been quietly expanding.
>
> Unknown to inner city types, the original opened next to Active's  Mississauga
> store. Frequently frustrated by Active's not having what I wanted, I'd go to
> Sayal which always had what I needed and eventually became my first stop in
> that plaza.
>
> That location is still doing well, obviously having outlasted Active. Their
> main location and head office remains on Victoria Park north of Finch (very
> close to where Electrosonic used to be)  but they also have locations in
> Markham and near Vaughan Mills. And they've also expanded to Barrie, Cambridge
> and Burlington. Their stores tend to be very large, which might be the reason
> they prefer industrial zones to city storefronts.
>
> Also: Canada Computers just did a move of its North York location, from a strip
> mall to Centrepoint Mall (Yonge & Steeles) where it occupies the ENTIRE space
> formerly used by the Target store. It's immense and when I went there a few
> weeks ago (though the "official" opening was yesterday) there was plenty of
> unused area, they could easily fit all of their other Toronto locations into
> this one spot.
>
> - Evan
>

> On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 at 16:30, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
>     I remember when there were a lot of stores that sold electronic and
>     computer stuff.  Besides Active Surplus, there were several stores along
>     Queen, including Arkon, first near Church and later towards Spadina.
>     There were also several stores on College around Spadina/Bathhurst.
>     Then there was Active Electronics, on Lombard St. and when needed I
>     could hop the subway up to Electrosonic at 555 Yonge St., before they
>     moved to Gordon Baker Rd.  IIRC, there were a couple of other stores in
>     the same vicinity.  There was also City Surplus, on Dixie Rd. north of
>     the 401, which had a lot of electronic gear.  Of course, back in those
>     days, there were a lot of shops that catered to the TV repair business,
>     such as Atwater Electronics, not far from Heathkit, in Mississauga.
>     Going way back, I remember Radio Essentials and Pat's Electronics, in
>     Oakville.  The Oakville Amateur Radio club used to meet in Pat's basement.
>

>     On 2019-12-15 02:59 PM, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
>     > Oh I am crushed.
>     > Steve had, and understood some of the most  creative things about
>     > connecting electronics.
>     > I have cables in my home and production studio that I simply could not
>     > find  in town anywhere, especially after Radio shack went away.
>     > Above all was a  computer maintenance dream as well.
>     > *sniff!*
>     > Kare
>     >
>     >
>     >
> [...]

Joe   On ceding power to tech companies: http://xkcd.com/1118/
man screen | grep -A2 weird
  A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of
  all the features.