[GTALUG] another unique store gone: Above All Electronic Surplus

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Sun Dec 15 16:29:40 EST 2019

I remember when there were a lot of stores that sold electronic and
computer stuff.  Besides Active Surplus, there were several stores along
Queen, including Arkon, first near Church and later towards Spadina.
There were also several stores on College around Spadina/Bathhurst.
Then there was Active Electronics, on Lombard St. and when needed I
could hop the subway up to Electrosonic at 555 Yonge St., before they
moved to Gordon Baker Rd.  IIRC, there were a couple of other stores in
the same vicinity.  There was also City Surplus, on Dixie Rd. north of
the 401, which had a lot of electronic gear.  Of course, back in those
days, there were a lot of shops that catered to the TV repair business,
such as Atwater Electronics, not far from Heathkit, in Mississauga.
Going way back, I remember Radio Essentials and Pat's Electronics, in
Oakville.  The Oakville Amateur Radio club used to meet in Pat's basement.