[GTALUG] Graphics cards - - - too much 'joy'

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 9 09:51:14 EST 2019

On Fri, Dec 06, 2019 at 09:50:45AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Why does it make sense to omit a ground line?  If it is specified to be
> ground, it ought to be supplied as ground.  As I read it, the power supply
> must supply ground on all the ground pins but the video card is free to
> not use some of them.
>
> If one of the pins from the power supply isn't connected, then the
> cable is defective.

As long as all 8 pins in the GPU side are connected, it is fine.
There doesn't need to be 8 wires going to the power supply to do that.

> Note: it might be connected within the connector itself via an
> internal jumper.

Since the 2 sense wires are just to allow detecting the cable type,
they don't carry much current at all, and nothing wrong with connecting
them together with a single wire from the power supply side.  They are
connected to ground, but not used as ground for the power carrying part
of the cable.

--
Len Sorensen