[GTALUG] Graphics cards - - - too much 'joy'

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 09:23:44 EST 2019

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 7:50 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | Can find pin outs - - - - none of the cable pics are clear enough to count
> | the number of individual runs.
>
> <https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/power_supply/pci-express-pcie-6pin-power/>
> <https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/power_supply/pci-express-pcie-8pin-power/>
>
> Or better (but look way down, from "6 Pin PCI Express (PCIe) Power
> Cable Connector" on):
>
> <https://www.moddiy.com/pages/Power-Supply-Connectors-and-Pinouts.html>
>
> The original 6 pins are all assigned 12v or ground.  The extra pins in
> the 8 pin connector are just grounds.  All seem to be connected.

The top row is the issue.
The top row are all labelled as ground (IIRC the bottom row are all 12 V. AIUI
that is the newer style of connector. In the past there was not uncommonly
used a cable w an 8 pin on one end and a 6 + 2 on the other. The 8 pin then on
the left hand side had both top and bottom pins labelled as ground so it makes
sense that one ground line was omitted - - - - especially as the predominant
graphics boards at the time used 2 - 6 pin connectors.

https://www.moddiy.com/pages/Power-Supply-Connectors-and-Pinouts.html

> Why two more grounds?  Because the 8-pin is supposted to supply more
> power and "they" added pins to make this new requirement unmistakable.
> Or maybe they just actually needed two more grounds.
>
> You said one pin on your connector was absent.
> => your connector isn't right
>
> I don't know if this matters for your new card.  Clearly it does not
> matter for your old cards.  Is the pin missing for each of the connectors
> used for the old video card?

First point - - - - see earlier url.
Second question - - - yes.

Regards