[GTALUG] Graphics cards - - - too much 'joy'

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 21:00:51 EST 2019

On 12/5/19 8:51 PM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 6:18 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> | From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

>> Sorry, I should have said 8-pin or 6+2 pin (if my google results are
>> correct).
>>
>> You didn't answer.
> I think that's where the issue is - - - - the PSU has a 6 + 2 Molex connector
> setup. The cable looks good - - - cable with external mesh to 'neaten' up the
> internals - - - - except there are only 7 conductors! One of the ground cables
> is just not connected - - - - that's on the PSU side - - - there are 8
> cables on
> the card side but NOT on the PSU end.
>
> My guess is that the new card just have to have all eight connections.
> (Stands to reason imo.)
>
> Regards
If your going to need a new PSU for this I would recommend going with
EVGA or Seasonic as they have PSUs with 10/12 year warranties and
here's an example from their high end offerings.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=444&item_id=119416

Most modern PSUs last really long and the connectors haven't changed 6+2
pins
have been around for awhile even on a older PSU I bought in 2012. The other
other thing is I've assuming you know what a modular PSU is but there
all modular
now or at least semi excluding 8 pin for CPU and 24 pin for motherboard
so buying
extra cables is not a problem if they die or you need extras.

Nick