[GTALUG] Graphics cards - - - too much 'joy'

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Dec 5 18:29:20 EST 2019

| From: Nicholas Krause via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On 12/4/19 8:52 PM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:

| > Nvidia card and the system is working just fine. Tried the Radeon
| > RX570 again this time only plugging in 1 monitor - - - - the gpu light
| > do come on but I can't tell if much further is happening.

| Do you get any beeps or a post screen as that would be the first thing? If
| you get beeps or a gpu light check the motherboard manual to see if the
| board is giving a error. LEDS sometimes signal a post error on modern
| boards.

Good questions.

o1bigtenor: the normal way of showing a POST is running is the
display.  If the display isn't displaying anything, it is hard to tell
whether the POST is running.

Perhaps the GPU card requires more power than your power supply
provides.  In particular, over the years, the balance has changed
between the amounts of power used at each supply voltage.

Older power supplies didn't even have the right leads for the bonus
power connectors on modern video cards.

I put a RX570 in an old box (Haswell generation) and I had to replace
the power supply to do so.

Your motherboard suggests that your system was even older: Sandy Bridge
generation.

Did your power supply have a lead with a 6-pin connector for the power
input on the RX570?  Was it capable of supplying 120W?

Very unreliable information from the web:
GTX570 213W
RX570 is rated at 150W
These are so unreliable as to be useless.

| > I called my
| > purchase point and they requested I send it back to them. They are now
| > telling me that the card is working well on their M$ test machine.

That would be consistent with a power supply problem.  And many other
problems :-(

If you cannot make out beep codes, your could try something like this:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POST_card>
They ought to be inexpensive.

Your motherboard can support PCIe 3.0 but may require a BIOS
(firmware) update to do so:

<https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P9X79/>