[GTALUG] Samsung router?

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Wed Aug 28 08:58:15 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-27 09:37 PM, William Park via talk wrote:
> I had routers from D-Link, TP-Link, Asus, Linksys.  They all died.
> Current one is Asus RT-N66U and 5GHz band is flaking out.  So, while
> browsing at Canada Computers, I found "Samsung Connect Home 2x2" and
> "4x4".
>     https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_1573&item_id=109992
>     https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_1573&item_id=109994
>
> Anyone heard good thing about them, as pure wireless router?  The online
> reviews mostly talk about "smart" features which I have no idea what
> they're talking about.

The manual is a little short on detail.  While it's shown being used as
an access point, it says it's a router.  However, I see nothing about
configuring anything about networks.  Does it support IPv6?  VLANs?  I
strongly support separate access points and have one on my home
network.  However, separate access points tend to support PoE.  There is
no mention of that.  Even with the full user manual, there is simply not
enough info to make an educated decision.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201801/20180123114518553/ET-WV530_UM_EU_ASIA_Type_Rev.1.0_180123.pdf

The D-Link DAP-2660 business grade AP appears to be a more capable
device in that price range.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1056_356&item_id=076368