[GTALUG] legal history of university AUPs, was Re: For Chris: Commodore BASIC as a scripting language

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Tue Aug 27 19:20:34 EDT 2019

Moral rights are most frequently applied to things like reports that people are contracted to write (so that the contracting agency can’t change the sense of the report in a press release, for example.

Moral rights cannot be sold/assigned, but can be waived. People hired to write reports are sometimes required to waive their moral rights as part of the contract to hire them. Which makes one absolutely an expert for hire….

I was unaware of the limited protection of moral rights in the US, but according to https://library.osu.edu/site/copyright/2017/07/21/moral-rights-in-the-united-states/ it only applies to visual works - not other forms of copyrighted work (such as articles, reports, or code).

../Dave