[GTALUG] For Chris: Commodore BASIC as a scripting language

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 13:52:48 EDT 2019

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019, 12:35 PM William Porquet, <william at 2038.org> wrote:

> I've come to the realization that, in this day and age of hypervisors and
> virutalization, Windows has become a rather complex and somewhat buggy
> service that runs under Linux. Or is has for me, anyway.
>
> My CDN$0.02.

I purchased a copy of Win4lin in 1999 so I could work on the software the
NGO's I volunteered for were using. I use to resent being asked to install
cracked copies of Windows, in the name of social justice or for any other
reason for that matter. I deleted windows from my PC and could honestly say
I dont have a copy and I can't do that for you in good conscience, even if
you tell me the disks that you have are legal when I can see they are not.

If I examine what I do know about Windows these days as a non-user

In Practical Unix and Internet Security 2nd Ed. O REILLY et. al. on Pg 331
the authors wrote.

"As a matter of good policy, new software should first be installed on some
noncritical systems for testing and familiarisation. This practice gives
you an opportunity to isolate problems, identify incompatibilities, an note
quirks, Don’t install new software on a “live” production system!

Note that you should not automatically trust software from a commercial
firm or group. Sometimes commercial firms insert back doors into their code
to allow for maintenance, or recovering lost passwords. These back doors
might be secret today, but become well-known tomorrow. ...”

Outside of whether Linux considers Windows TM a non critical system or not,
the questions I have from a Linux perspective of WSL convergance are; will
the corporation become more like the people accessing the technology? or,
will the people become more like the corporation providing the technology?

To make the argument for Open Source vs. Closed Source knowledge and
intelligence, I always tell people that I chose Linux because I always
learn something rather than just how to do something.

I note some kernel now integrate ebpf tools, so the term trust but verify
hasn't lost all meaning as a core value.

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/introduction-ebpf-red-hat-enterprise-linux-7