[GTALUG] Linux Kernel Allows 0.0.0.0/8 as a Valid Address Range

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Aug 14 10:50:24 EDT 2019

On 8/14/19 10:34 AM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2019-08-14 10:28 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>> I don't know the reason for this.
> The motive is to squeeze a bit more life out of IPv4, when they should
> be putting the effort into moving to IPv6.  IPv4 hasn't been adequate
> since it became necessary to use NAT to overcome the address shortage.
> This was a hack that caused it's own problems and now we have hacks on
> hacks, to try to keep IPv4 going long after it's best before date.

To squeeze a bit more life out of IPv4 these addresses would need to be
routable over the internet at large and I am not sure that will be easy
to do.

As much as I might like to think linux development drives the internet
companies insist on spending lots of money Cisco like gear and if Cisco
won't route 0.0.0.0/8 then it just ain't going to happen.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||