[GTALUG] Linux Kernel Allows 0.0.0.0/8 as a Valid Address Range

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Aug 14 09:43:48 EDT 2019

On 8/14/19 9:15 AM, James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2019-08-14 09:01 AM, Giles Orr wrote:
>> Your sound logic aside, 0.0.0.0 represents a significant amount of
>> cash to those who aren't letting IPv4 drop.  That economic interest
>> will be enough to push it through against almost any resistance.
> There are now restrictions on handing out IPv4 address blocks, including
> showing need, etc..  So, there's not a lot of room for making money from
> this.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion

I am not sure how much ARIN and IANA will end up making from this.
They are also big boosters of IPV6

But first the block would need to be moved from its special status and I
have a feeling that that would take a long time.
The latest whois still has it as special.

You could also lump 127.0.0.0/8 into the same category of places to find
new ipv4 addresses.
Aside from providing more space for internal networks like 10.0.0.0/8 I
can't see this becoming useful to anybody in the short term.
All the routers in the internet would need to be willing to accept the
0.0.0.0/8 network and that could end up meaning software upgrades for
lots of routers.

I am not sure that there is any grand conspiracy to avoid IPV6 or make
bags of cash here.

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/tou/
#
# If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
# https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/inaccuracy_reporting/
#
# Copyright 1997-2019, American Registry for Internet Numbers, Ltd.
#

NetRange:       0.0.0.0 - 0.255.255.255
CIDR:           0.0.0.0/8
NetName:        SPECIAL-IPV4-LOCAL-ID-IANA-RESERVED
NetHandle:      NET-0-0-0-0-1
Parent:          ()
NetType:        IANA Special Use
OriginAS:
RegDate:
Updated:        2013-08-30
Comment:        The address 0.0.0.0 may only be used as the address of
an outgoing packet when a computer is learning which IP address it
should use.  It is never used as a destination address. Addresses
starting with "0." are sometimes used for broadcasts to directly
connected devices.
Comment:
Comment:        If you see addresses starting with a "0." in logs they
are probably in use on your network, which might be as small as a
computer connected to a home gateway.
Comment:
Comment:        This block was assigned by the IETF, the organization
that develops Internet protocols, in the Standard document, RFC 1122,
and is further documented in the Best Current Practice document RFC
6890.  IANA is listed as the registrant to make it clear that this
network is not assigned to any single organization.
Comment:
Comment:        These documents can be found at:
Comment:        http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc1122
Comment:        http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6890
Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/0.0.0.0

OrgName:        Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
OrgId:          IANA
Address:        12025 Waterfront Drive
Address:        Suite 300
City:           Los Angeles
StateProv:      CA
PostalCode:     90292
Country:        US
RegDate:
Updated:        2012-08-31
Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/IANA

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||