[GTALUG] Running Dell branded Nvidia gtx 1060 in non-dell system

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Aug 12 02:12:07 EDT 2019

| From: Alex Volkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| The other system I have is from 4 years ago, based on AM3+ platform, so it's
| only has PCI v2 (there's a mention of PCI v3 requirements in ROCm
| documentation), probably no exposed CRAT tables, and sketchy IOMMU support.
| Just installing the card into it would likely not work, and upgrading the
| system to something that will support ROCm stack properly would cost more then
| $500, whereas just getting gtx off kijiji would be less than $200.

I just assumed that my Haswell systems have PCIe v3.0, but I don't
actually know.

<https://rocm.github.io/ROCmPCIeFeatures.html>

Googling for a way of testing for PCIe v3 from the linux command line
isn't too rewarding.  In the output of "lspci -vv" I see 8GT/s so I
think that I have PCIe 3.0.

  LnkCap:	Port #2, Speed 8GT/s, Width x16, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <256ns, L1 <8us

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
1.0: 2.6 GT/s
2.0: 5.0 GT/s
3.0: 8.0 GT/s