[GTALUG] War Story: Asus UX305ca SSD failures

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 12:52:04 EDT 2019

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019, 10:39 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> | From: Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | It would be interesting to see the bit densities over time from stone
> | tablets(how would cave paintings count?)  to the latest production
> storage
> | systems.
> | It would also be interesting to know how many people had access to the
> storage
> | media over time. That would have started with a few priests and specially
> | trained people to just about everybody having a cell phone with a few GB
> of
> | storage.
>
> Yeah.  The main reason for new formats is that they are cheaper or
> larger. Sadly not because of endurance.
>
> One McLuhan-esqe observation is that what gets recorded on new media
> is likely less significant / important.  My brother often remarks that
> that photos on film (or glass and metal plates!) were way more
> considered and significant than photos now.  We are buried in snaps
> and will need AI to find ones that we might actually be interested in
> later.

Another emerging media issue is that; as the cost of delivering the media
content starts to converge with zero, so is the value of that written
content lessening.

While the author of the link below lambasted Open Source Cheapskates, the
demise of the Linux Journal speaks to that effect on users of Linux. I
never subscribed, but I picked up a copy now and then, or browsed it at the
library.

 https://betanews.com/2019/08/08/linux-journal-dies-again-rip/

All print media is feeling the digital crunch and while everyone is now
able to publish on the net, in whatever fashion they choose, it is nice to
have authentic curation of information. That too will probably require some
kind of AI in the not to distant future. A masthead on a broadsheet was an
emblem of credibility. On the web it appears under the sponsoring message
of the day.