[GTALUG] War Story: Asus UX305ca SSD failures

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Aug 9 14:12:32 EDT 2019

On 8/9/19 12:47 PM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
[snip]

> Humans lose thousands of skin cells a day, yet the fabric of the
> persona stays the same. I think photo data is a little the same, a few
> stray bits lost here or there won't change the picture that much.
> However it is possible to corrupt that significant bit which would
> make decoding the picture impossible.

That's an interesting analogy.

Humans are both digital and analog.
The digital component is the DNA which contains the whole of the
instructions to build and operate a human.
The analog component is they way we are grown and the effects of the
outside world.
In theory you could take a cell and use the DNA to build a copy of the
person but it would not be a very faithful copy even leaving aside the
effects of living and learning.
Or I guess it would be as good as identical twins where one was thrown
into a rocket at relativistic speeds to come back later.

The other thing about humans is the algorithm of sex to create new
humans where data is combined in new ways to provide the ability to evolve.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||