[GTALUG] War Story: Asus UX305ca SSD failures

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Fri Aug 9 13:36:41 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-09 01:19 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:
> Jpegs are an exported file format created from aggregated image data
> collected by the CCD. They are digital files and subject to
> transmission errors just like any other signal. My 13 megapixel phone
> saves image data directly as a jpg file. Sure the raw data has been
> manipulated before writing the original, but that is much different
> than having an image recorded using raw format and then exporting a
> copy in a lossy format in order to save space.

Perhaps you need to learn about some of the technology.  Some media,
such as CDs & DVDs use forward error correction, to ensure data is
copied correctly.  When you transfer data over a network, there is a
checksum used with TCP, with IP(v4) and a CRC check at the Ethernet
level.  On top of that some applications provide their own integrity
check.  So, it would be very difficult for an error to propagate.  Now,
I am aware some media will deteriorate with time, so the sensible thing
to do is make periodic backups.