[GTALUG] Running Dell branded Nvidia gtx 1060 in non-dell system

Wed Aug 7 11:25:22 EDT 2019

Hey Nick,

See my replies below

On 2019-08-06 8:09 p.m., xerofoify via talk wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 4:23 PM Alex Volkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> Yes.
>>
>> Unfortunately I went though the debugging process before I got to the paragraph. On the upside I think I got a lightning talk out of it, that I'll try to present at the next meeting.
>>
>> Alex.
>>
> Alex,
> I don't know how much your intending to do with that GPU or otherwise.
> If your just using Nvidia I can't help
> you as mentioned but if your interested in GPU workloads  was looking
> at the AMDGPU backend for LLVM.
> Not sure if there is one that targets Nvidia cards but it may be of
> interest to you as you would be able to
> compile directly for the GPU rather than using an API to access it.
> Not sure about Nvidia so double check
> that.
>
> Here is the official documentation for AMD through:
> https://llvm.org/docs/AMDGPUUsage.html

I haven't gotten that far into it, just ran a few ML tutorials, I
haven't yet created any of my own models yet, my knowledge is limited to
trying out tensorflow package and getting tensorflow-gpu (nvidia
bindings) verifiably working with the hardware.

Turns out NVIDIA drivers have this nice feature of falling back to CPU
processing when there's an error -- this is useful when needing to get
things done at any cost, not so much when attempting to debug the issue.

So far I mostly used the card for hw-accelerated h264 encoding through
ffmpeg.

> If your using it for machine learning it may be helpful to be aware of
> it as you could compile
> the libraries if possible onto the GPU target rather than access than
> indirectly through
> the CPU. Again not sure of what libraries but you should for most of
> the popular ones
> and that may increase throughput a lot as it's direct assembly for the
> card not abstracted.

Thanks for the advice, I'm not that far along in the process to use this
information.

You seem to know a lot on the topic of optimizing workloads on GPU,
would you like to come to our meeting next Tuesday and give a 5-10
minute talk on this? -- https://gtalug.org/meeting/2019-08/

> As for GPU memory that may be a issue as Hugh mentioned depending on the size
> of the workload. I don't think it would matter for your tutorials but
> going across the
> PCI bus is about as bad as cache misses for CPUs so best to not have them if
> possible. If you were able to find a 6GB version that would be more than enough
> for most workloads excluding professional. 1060s were shipped with either 3 or
> 6GB so that may be something for card you ordered to check. Retail I recall
> it being about a 30-50 Canadian difference and for double the RAM it was
> a good detail at the time if you bought one.

There seem to be a lot of gamers who upgraded to 1080 selling used 1060
6GB for a reasonable price. I got MSI GTX 1060 6GB version.

So far with h264 encoding I've noticed that there's significant
processing drop, when the card finishes encoding a chunk of data, then
saturates PCI bus.

Alex.