[GTALUG] War Story: Asus UX305ca SSD failures

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 6 11:31:05 EDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 07:00:43PM -0400, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
>    When I bought a hard drive at Best Buy, I asked about SSDs.  I understand that there is a maximum number of writes you can do to them, and the number is rather small.  I was buying a backup drive that runs at night while I am in bed, so I went for cheap and reliable.

A low end SSD can usually last 1000 writes.  That is 1000 writes to
every block and it does wear leveling.  So for a backup drive you would
never reach that.  As a swap partition on a machine with not enough ram,
you can easily reach that.  For something constantly writing a ton of
log files, you could easily reach that.  In a typical user machine,
you probably never would either.

For example Samsung says the 860 EVO is rated for 600TB total writes for
a 1TB model, so 600 times the size of the drive.  Of course they take
some wear leveling and moving stuff around to deal with that into account.
The 860 Pro doubles that to 1200TB written for a 1TB.  Go to an enterprise
SSD and a 960GB drive can have 6000TB written as endurance.  They cost
more of course.

--
Len Sorensen