[GTALUG] War Story: Asus UX305ca SSD failures

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 14:47:43 EDT 2019

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019, 2:17 PM James Knott via talk, <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2019-08-05 01:54 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:
> > $50.00 for the hard cover but $70 for paperback is kind of hard to
> > understand but so are lots of things these days.
>
> That $50 is only because it's out of print.  Otherwise, it would cost
> more.  ;-)
>
> I borrowed it from the Mississauga Library.  Perhaps other libraries
> might have it.  It would be nice if some of these old books could be
> released as ebooks.  1986 is recent enough that it would have been
> composed on a computer.

Ya an ebook would be great, you get a lot of clues to current developments
from reading the words of past developers.

Personally when I got started hacking, I read operational manuals when I
found them discarded for many years before I got my hands on any viable
hardware. My first build in the mid 80's was a found 8086 which needed
sipps and a 5mb drive for storage which I found elsewhere from other
discards. Bonus, the case had two 5.25 floppy drives so you could load DOS
1.0 more quickly.

Heck that was half the fun. I lived close to IBMs Don Mills campus. At one
point as IBM staff, who were living in the neighbourhood, upgraded their
own home terminal units, there were treasures by the curb every week.