[GTALUG] War Story: Asus UX305ca SSD failures

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Mon Aug 5 09:35:11 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-05 08:28 AM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> How often would you do routine servicing, as opposed to repairs? They
> look like huge dust magnets to me and I can't see dust and magnetic
> tape playing well together.

I've forgotten the interval, but they received regular maintenance.  I
just did it when my supervisor told me to.  Maintenance would involve
cleaning the heads, tape path and capstan, checking air filters and
running reliability tests.  Data centres tend to be fairly clean but,
back in those days, we had to tell a couple of the programmers to not
smoke in that area.