[GTALUG] interesting article and comments about UCS-16, UTF-16, UTF-8

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Aug 3 18:18:51 EDT 2019

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20600195

There are so many hairy details!

UTF-8 gets a bit less coverage since it has fewer hairy details.

>From this I learned that Java and JavaScript now have optimizations to
use LATIN-1 when they can.  Normally they use UTF-16 (originally
UCS-16).  I take it that Using Latin-1 is an opportunistic
optimization hidden from the program.  I don't think Python 3 uses
this.

I think that Linux does this right and needs no such hack: just use
UTF-8.  Of course Java, JavaScript, Python 2, and Python 3 on Linux
don't get it right.