[GTALUG] War Story: Asus UX305ca SSD failures

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Aug 3 04:11:27 EDT 2019

+1 on all Alvin said.

Many brands seem to need one or two really low-end PoS units to give Best
Buy (and others) something for the far end of the display table where all
that matters is price. You may even see really nice outside finishes on the
units, or even a connector you won't see on more-expensive units (ooh! a
RS-232 port!) because at that point the decision is wholly based on
superficial. While it seems every brand seems to have something at this low
end IMO Acer seems to predominate.

FWIW my current laptop is an Asus which I've also had for 6+ years and I'm
very happy with it.

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 09:36, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 8/1/19 7:14 PM, William Park via talk wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 11:15:43AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
> wrote:
> >> We bought two Asus ux305ca notebooks about three years ago.  The
> Microsoft
> >> Store had a remarkably good deal on them.  I'm not the only GTALUGger to
> >> buy this notebook.
> > Lesson here: Don't buy Asus laptop, if you want reliability.
>
> The lesson should be don't buy the least expensive product if you want
> reliability.
>
> I am typing this on a 6+ year old Asus laptop with a couple of 256G SDDs
> and I have not had a problem with it.
>
> Most manufacturers will produce products that are scaled back with the
> least expensive components.
>
> I have a few "cheap" HP,ACER and Dell laptops that have been trashed in
> a couple of years in that category.
>
> I would be willing to bet that Microsoft had Asus make a special
> production run with parts of "less expensive" quality so that they could
> meet that "good deal" price point.
>
> Remember. You only get what you pay for(on a good day).
>

> --
> Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
> Netvel Inc.                   ||   Cell:  (416)806-0133
> alvin at netvel.net              ||

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56