[GTALUG] War Story: Asus UX305ca SSD failures

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Aug 2 09:35:47 EDT 2019

On 8/1/19 7:14 PM, William Park via talk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 11:15:43AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>> We bought two Asus ux305ca notebooks about three years ago.  The Microsoft
>> Store had a remarkably good deal on them.  I'm not the only GTALUGger to
>> buy this notebook.
> Lesson here: Don't buy Asus laptop, if you want reliability.

The lesson should be don't buy the least expensive product if you want
reliability.

I am typing this on a 6+ year old Asus laptop with a couple of 256G SDDs
and I have not had a problem with it.

Most manufacturers will produce products that are scaled back with the
least expensive components.

I have a few "cheap" HP,ACER and Dell laptops that have been trashed in
a couple of years in that category.

I would be willing to bet that Microsoft had Asus make a special
production run with parts of "less expensive" quality so that they could
meet that "good deal" price point.

Remember. You only get what you pay for(on a good day).

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||