[GTALUG] of routers and access points

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 11:52:34 EDT 2019

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 10:57, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> > If you actually use the Bell router functions, what do you use your
> > own router for?
> >
> > - an AP + a switch?
> >
> > - double-NATting (seems like a bad idea)?
>
> Agreed.  I run my VDSL2 modem in bridged mode with it's wifi turned off
> (don't need more interference in the area), and then have a WRT1900ACv2
> running openwrt doing all the real work.  And since it is running openwrt
> I can install whatever service on it that I need.  I used to route through
> a linux box 15 years ago, but whyever would I do such a thing today?
> One box does AP, switching, routing, PPPoE, DNS, DHCP, etc and nothing
> on the network is confused.  Nice and simple.

Just to provide an example of what you can possibly do with an OpenWrt
router having only 512 MB of RAM. My three-years old Buffalo WXR-1900DHP,
with extroot on a 1 TB external USB drive, runs:
- all the usual networking stuff: PPPoE, basic and advanced ipv4 and ipv6
routing, DHCP and DNS (dnsmasq)
- Nginx
- PHP7
- OpenLDAP
- Postfix
- Dovecot + OpenDKIM
- Transmission
- Proftpd
and the box just runs for months until I have to reboot it for upgrade or
some other reason.