[GTALUG] Ontario Bill 72: "Right to Repair"

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 11:15:16 EDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 9:59 AM Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> A seemingly brand new small convection oven, Delonghi EO1270, made in China, came my way. Pristine clean and obviously unused, but did not work. https://www.amazon.ca/DeLonghi-EO1270-6-Slice-Convection-Toaster/dp/B003ZDNKV0
>
> I started taking it apart to troubleshoot. The electronics are on the left side, while most of carcass is, well, oven.
>
> Lo and behold, the panels covering the electronics are held together by 6 rivets, making it extremely difficult to even get to the electronics. Even if I drill out the rivets, reassembly would be a problem. I learn a lot from taking stuff apart. Today I learned to never buy a Delonghi, because you're probably throwing your money away. From the outside the convection oven looks nice, but unrepairable. This oven is a waste of natural resources, and money. Someone got cheated.
>
> Buy better quality, repairable, something that will last a long time.

Agreed (with your conclusion).

I would suggest that pop rivets are quite cheap and I'd doubt you
actually 'need' six to hold a tiny little board.
I'd drill away and then you could really see how cheap the oven is.
Likely its one capacitor that's crapped out and so you land up
throwing out a $250 item for something that even in decent quality can
be bought for well under $0.05 (if you buy a few of them).

You see - - -this way the factory sells another item, the freight
companies all get their cut and the wholesaler gets another bump and
the retailer likely not only sells you another oven but some other
'junk' at the same time.
See- - - - everyone is winning - - - - - except you.

Somehow too much of business hasn't figured out that the goose that
lays the golden eggs is about tapped out.

Regards