[GTALUG] Installing Anaconda with Python 3 on 32 bit linux (Ubuntu ver 16.04 )

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 07:20:58 EDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 3:27 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 1:02 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
> | <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
> | > As a Linux user, it has been very convenient to delegate several
> | > software maintenance tasks to the distro:
> | >
> | > - selecting
> | > - security auditing
> | > - configuring
> | > - testing
> | > - bug fixing
> | > - updating
> |
> | I'm not sure what you mean by 'updating'?
> | Are you expecting the distro to schedule the update?
> | Do you want the distro to inform you of newer versions?
> | Hmmmmmmmm - - - please?
>
> The distros I use update packages in their repo for a variety of
> reasons:
>
> - updated upstream (features, bug fixes, security fixes)
>
> - distro fixes (similar list)
>
> Most distros provide a tool for users to check for updates and to
> apply them.  Sometimes they have a setting that enables the system
> to automatically apply any updates that are released.
>
> So:
>
> - I expect the distro to inform me of available updates
>
> - most updates will be to packages, but sometimes they are of distro
>   version updates
>
> - I want to be able to select what to upgrade
>
> - some people might want all security updates automatically applied.
>   Or perhaps all updates.

Thank you for your response.

It was the last two phrases that I was really looking for - - - I'm
finding that
there are some elements in *nix land that are insisting that because users
are so very very lax at updating their systems that the distro must itself
not only offer the updates but that said updates MUST happen. To whit - -
Canonical has moved to this system in their implementations of both
snapd and also lxd. It is possible to reduce the frequency of the upgrades
from a daily inspection and possible update/upgrade to a maximum of
a month long period without update/upgrade.

I found out the hard way that this was a MUST from the software. Myself
I prefer to update/upgrade periodically - - - usually checking to make sure
that the software isn't going to get borked because the upgrade has flaws
in it (even more fun when the system gets borked due to flaws in the
software!!). It was suggested that it would be possible to skirt around the
constant update/upgrade cycle by using a firewall rule to hinder the forced
reach out from my system to 'mother ship'. Well that joy set up a system
that after such an update/upgrade request was blocked - - - well the system
would shut itself down. It was only after the second such incident that I
started investigating and by the fourth I could call the trend. Now I have
the issue of having directories that I am unable to remove even using rm -r
but there is a very long and definitely not simple technique whereby maybe
I will be able to purge my server of said mess.

Hopefully not too much rant!

Regards