[GTALUG] Installing Anaconda with Python 3 on 32 bit linux (Ubuntu ver 16.04 )

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Apr 19 16:27:39 EDT 2019

| From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 1:02 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
| <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

| > As a Linux user, it has been very convenient to delegate several
| > software maintenance tasks to the distro:
| >
| > - selecting
| > - security auditing
| > - configuring
| > - testing
| > - bug fixing
| > - updating
|
| I'm not sure what you mean by 'updating'?
| Are you expecting the distro to schedule the update?
| Do you want the distro to inform you of newer versions?
| Hmmmmmmmm - - - please?

The distros I use update packages in their repo for a variety of
reasons:

- updated upstream (features, bug fixes, security fixes)

- distro fixes (similar list)

Most distros provide a tool for users to check for updates and to
apply them.  Sometimes they have a setting that enables the system
to automatically apply any updates that are released.

So:

- I expect the distro to inform me of available updates

- most updates will be to packages, but sometimes they are of distro
  version updates

- I want to be able to select what to upgrade

- some people might want all security updates automatically applied.
  Or perhaps all updates.