[GTALUG] war story: fixing a doc bug can be hard

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Mon Apr 8 23:23:23 EDT 2019

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 10:48:59 -0400 (EDT)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I'm reading dnf(8) on Fedora 29 and get irked by the layout of the
> options.
> --disableexcludes=[all|main|<repoid>],
> --disableexcludepkgs=[all|main|<repoid>]
>
> Here's what "man dnf" shows on a terminal that is 80
> columns wide.  Ugly.
>
>        --disableexcludes=[all|main|<repoid>],               --disableexcludep‐
>        kgs=[all|main|<repoid>]

Hugh,

   I am working on a Perl app, and I have written a man page for it.  I do not expect to learn groff ever.  I can hack something that seems to work.  How many people are limited to 80 columns.

   Please note that I have problems with wide web pages.   I have my 1080p internet screen divided between my browser, my email and my FVWM buttons.  A lot of web pages do not fit in the space I leave them.  I hate them.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
jhowardgibson at gmail.com