[GTALUG] VM Virtualbox Linux

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 13:11:39 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-30 1:38 p.m., Clifford Ilkay via talk wrote:

> The first alternative is Windows Subsystem for Linux
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/faq>. This is more gentle
> on system resources than running any VM.

WSL is cool and all, but it's really designed for server/console mode
only. The default WSL terminal is really clunky (it's essentially
cmd.exe) so all your favourite copy and paste shortcuts aren't there. I
haven't yet found a way to use a different terminal.

While you can run an X server and interact with windowed programs, the
performance is a bit dismal. The WSL home folder isn't accessible from
Windows, but the Windows FS is available under /mnt/<Drive letter>

For all my complaints, though, WSL does what I need.

cheers,
 Stewart