[GTALUG] Help with choosing a WiFi router

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 1 12:39:55 EDT 2019

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 11:10:53PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> There's a new standard since then: 802.11ac.  Confusing, because there
> already were 802.11a and 802.11c.

And there is 802.11ax as well.  The naming is only confusing if you
don't know the insane naming system used by IEEE.  Use a-z then start
over at aa going to az, then ba up to bz, etc.  There is an 802.11ax AP
on the ceiling above me at the moment (although I don't think ax mode
works on it quite yet).

Of course for consumer use they have now named 802.11n as Wifi 4,
802.11ac as Wifi 5 and 802.11ax as Wifi 6.

> I like the idea of OpenWRT but don't actually use it.  Even though
> I have two wireless routers, I only use them as APs -- the routing
> functions are not used.  So my advice about consumer wireless routers
> is pretty theoretical.  For gateways (including the routing function),
> I use little PCs running CentOS or Fedora.

I have OpenWRT on my WRT1900ACv2.  Used to run LEDE until they re-merged.
Seems to work quite well.  I know there is a WRT32X now that is similar
but I haven't used one.

--
Len Sorensen