[GTALUG] September talk with Marcel Gagne is on youtube

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Sep 25 04:30:49 EDT 2018

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 at 23:29, Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Nice presentation. I have one minor nit to pick in the presentation.
> Marcel
> has an error in the video which can be seen at 14:50. The project called
> GIMP hasn't been called "The GIMP" in several years.

Sheesh. THAT is worth calling out?

   - The term "The GIMP" is certainly
   <https://www.lifewire.com/the-gimp-review-1701606> still
   <https://launchpad.net/gimp> extant
   <https://filehippo.com/download_the-gimp-32bit/>
   - The introduction at gimp.org says it is the official website of "*the*
   GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)". So "the GIMP" is a fully legitimate
   and grammatically sound use of the acronym.
   - The open source movement is now 20 years old. Taking offence at
   pedantic linguistic slights is so 1990s unless your initials are RMS

If use of "The GIMP" is archaic, who's it hurting?
Not what the project wants to call it anymore? Maybe.
Protecting a trademark? Doubtful.
Error? Certainly not.
To me it's kind of endearing and unique. Like when I hear Buckeye fans talk
about their university ....

But then again, what do I know? I still refer to the Skydome and O'Keefe
Centre, I identify TV and radio stations by their call letters, and I'll
always call them streetcars rather than LRTs.
- Evan