[GTALUG] Lenovo ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with TrackPoint

David Ing isss@daviding.com isss at daviding.com
Sat Sep 22 00:09:31 EDT 2018

The current Thinkpad Wired USB Keyboard with Trackpoint matches the layout
on current Thinkpads (i.e. later than T430, X230, ...).

I preferred the predecessor model as better built, matching the original
Thinkpad keyboard layouts (i.e. earlier than T420, X220, ...).  However,
that model has been discontinued for some years, and available on eBay only
at outrageous prices.

I just replaced my keyboard of 2015 with the exact same model.  It's the
only practical choice if you want a keyboard with a Trackpoint.  After I
got the replacement, my friend Don tried to fix the old one -- see
http://dontai.com/wp/2018/09/06/thinkpad-wired-usb-keyboard-with-trackpoint-0b47190-disassembly-and-cleaning/
-- but the fix only works intermittently.  (I use the right mouse button, a
lot!)

The external keyboard, as an alternative to a built-in keyboard on a
Thinkpad, has been a standard for me for many decades.  Way back, the
company had to get the built-in keyboard replaced because I have a heavy
touch, and would wear it out.  It's much cheaper (and ergonomically better)
to have an external keyboard that plugs into my Thinkpad dock, that is
field-replaceable.  I'm so used to the Trackpoint that working on a
trackpad or mouse really slows me down.