[GTALUG] Online Course for Lex/Yacc?

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Tue Sep 18 12:09:45 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-15 01:10 AM, William Park via talk wrote:
> Now, I want to take some course on Lex/Yacc, finally!
> What online course do you recommend?

I have used Lex/Yacc in the past to create a custom "language" for an
program installation system. I just read up on the programs as there was no
"online" available at the time. I like working with parsers. I just don't
get to do it very often any more.

I see some people suggest avoiding Yacc/Lex if possible. I think they are
useful tools. They may be particularly helpful to keep you agile while the
"language" you need to parse is still in a state of flux. If you need a more
compact (or faster?) parsing solution the Yacc/Lex method can guide the
design of a custom parser written in your main programming language of choice.

A quick search turned up many tutorials that are available on YouTube. I
also found a Yacc crash course (part of a Ruby Hacking Guide), and The LEX &
YACC Page.

In case you were not aware there are two equivalent programs in the GNU
suite of tools for Lex and Yacc. They are Flex and Bison, respectively. You
can also look for information on those two programs.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick