[GTALUG] ancient computer history

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Tue Sep 18 10:47:56 EDT 2018

On 09/18/2018 02:37 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> I read this with fascination in 1967 or perhaps early 1968.  It was almost
> current then!  Looking at it now, I still remember some of the phrases.
>
> <https://www.computer.org/web/csdl/index/-/csdl/proceedings/afips/1964/5064/00/50640001.pdf>

I've long been interested in computer history.  Several years ago, I
read a book about early IBM computers, going back to the invention of
Hollerith cards.  I have also worked on some old gear.  Many years ago,
I worked on a system in the Toronto Stock Exchange on Bay St.  This
system, made by a company called "Teleregister" was a single purpose
computer, built with vacuum tubes, relays and a memory drum.  It was
older than I was.  There was another system at my company, made by
Phillips, that used a slightly tapered memory drum.  One feature of this
drum was that as it spun up, it would rise, bringing the drum close to
the heads.  If power failed, it had a fail safe mechanism to move the
drum away from the heads, gravity.  I also used to maintain a PDP-8i
computer.  When browsing through the programming manual, I found DEC
actually recommending self modifying code, to get around the limitations
of the instruction set!  I also worked with Data General Nova and
Eclipse computers which had something I have not seen elsewhere.  That
is auto increment and decrement indirect addressing.  This involved
address locations, that when used for indirect addressing, would
automagically increment or decrement.  These older computers used core
memory and the video terminals connected to the Nova computers used
acoustic delay lines for memory.  The terminals connected to the PDP-8
used core memory.  I also used to work with mag tape stands and punch
card equipment.  I also used to work with the Datapoint 2200 smart
terminal, which the Intel 8008 CPU was intended for, but they went with
their own CPU board because the 8008 didn't have adequate performance.
However, it retained the 8008 instruction set.  Back in those day, I
already owned an IMSAI 8080 computer, with the Intel 8080 CPU.