[GTALUG] Suggestions for stopping occasional spurious use of commercial wi-fi

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Sep 17 09:21:28 EDT 2018

On 09/17/2018 09:07 AM, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 13:50:14 -0400
> James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
>> On 09/16/2018 01:45 PM, David Collier-Brown via talk wrote:
>>> What's a good approach? I have considered
>>>
>> Many people use separate routers, as they're not happy with the Rogers
>> hardware.  I run pfSense on a refurb computer.  All you have to do is
>> put the modem in bridge mode and connect your router.  Also, you may
>> want to get something other than a Cisco modem.  Rogers doesn't support
>> IPv6 on them.  I have a Hitron modem in bridge mode.
>     My DSL modem has a firewall feature that my vendor recommends not using.  I have a wireless router that serves as my firewall, and I have a long security key.  I am so glad I took typing in high school.

Take a  look at the TR-069 standard.
It allows a service provider to remotely manage and control the device
at the customer location.
This can be a great thing if you have unsophisticated customers who need
help but it does mean that you have complete control over their security
and can do what you like with their device.

I would suggest that if your concerned about external hacks or access
get a device that has the TR-069 removed or disabled.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||