[GTALUG] Suggestions for stopping occasional spurious use of commercial wi-fi

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Sun Sep 16 16:18:19 EDT 2018

On 09/16/2018 02:42 PM, Don Tai wrote:
> I am assuming that on the Rogers router you are already using WPA2 and
> that someone has cracked it using a tool like AirCrack-NG (Kali dist
> or download). Physical barriers to limit signal strength will not
> alone protect you. There are numerous tutorials out there on how to
> use Aircrack-NG.

You can't assume people use a decent password.  That's why I suggested
www.grc.com.

BTW, I am currently rereading "The Cuckoo's Egg", by Clifford Stoll.  I
first read it almost 30 years ago, when I was a computer tech
maintaining VAX 11/780 computers, among others.  It's a good read that
describes attacks on a computer and what was done to track down the
attacker.  IIRC, the VAX's had a default account "admin" and password
"password", which often wasn't changed.  So, even with the big systems,
security wasn't always the greatest.  Back in those days, it wasn't all
that hard to walk in from Front St., past the security desk, hop on the
elevator and walk into the data centre.  My wife did that on occasion,
to meet me.  IIRC, there weren't even locks on the data centre doors
until the first Gulf war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo%27s_Egg