[GTALUG] Suggestions for stopping occasional spurious use of commercial wi-fi

Don Tai dontai.canada at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 14:32:02 EDT 2018

I daisy chain in my own router, then MAC address filtering. Turn off wifi
on the Rogers router. If you are not home during the day you can possibly
programmatically turn off wifi. The MAC address filtering is a bit of work
to maintain, as you need all device MAC addresses, but I've gotten used to
it.

You can also look into using metal mesh/aluminium foil to limit your
router's directionality. For example if you are in an apartment and the
router is on the west perimiter, put up some chicken wire blocking access
further west. If you are in an apartment with a single floor then reorient
your antenna to not transmit your signal higher or lower than your floor.
That will further limit access.

Don