[GTALUG] Boot setup issues

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 14 16:06:57 EDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 02:53:06PM +0000, D. Joe via talk wrote:
> To the best of my understanding, these tools are built with the assumption that one wants to run just the OS that invokes them.
>
> Although the Debian wiki has some hints
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Grub
>
> this seems to be more direct
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/16042/how-to-get-to-the-grub-menu-at-boot-time
>
> Are you hitting shift during boot time to get the grub menu, from which you might then be able to select amongst configured choices?
>
> If your successful bringing up the boot-time menu, but it isn't configured to offer you the choices after holding down shift, you may have to muck around in /etc/default/grub from which update-grub et al seem to take their lead.
>
> Take some care to dig into the boot time menu, I'm starting to see only the default (eg, the most recently installed OS) as the obvious choice at the grub top level menu during boot time, with other options buried in a submenu. (Sorry not to be more specific about how those appear--I'm favoring a quicker response over booting up a VM to see more exactly what the strings presented are).

Certainly OSs like Debian believe they own /boot and that packaged files
go in there.  In general it is easiest to just keep it part of the root
filesystem.  The EFI boot partition on the other hand is shared by all
OSs on the system.  There is rarely a good reason to make a separate
partition for /boot these days.  Encrypted rootfs is one case or root
on LVM, but other than that, not really.

--
Len Sorensen