[GTALUG] Boot setup issues

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 14 13:00:54 EDT 2018

On 14/09/18 10:22, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> So I've installed both of these systems (more than once each) they
> have their own partitions for everything but boot and efi yet I'm only
> seeing one system available on grub (depending upon the last install
> as to which). So I'm doing something wrong!! I tried using grub
> updating tools (# os-prober) still no joy. The web pages that I'm
> finding seem to be for an older version of grub and, as usual, I'm
> finding man pages are like reading cuneiform (which I find
> unintelligible).

Try installing refind - it is pretty good at detecting multiple OSes.

That said, if you have a shared boot partition between installations,
then you're going to have a much harder time detecting things, since
each OS will run update-grub, and clobber the other's grub.cfg entries.

You might be better off writing your own grub.cfg file or customizing
scripts in /etc/kernel to handle regenerating grub.cfg when there are
kernel updates.

Cheers, Jamon